A couple of questions regarding in-game History

Discussion of the Resurrection campaign, including private faction discussions.

A couple of questions regarding in-game History

Postby Gidoran » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:18 am

I know that the factions have had a couple thousand years at this point for linguistics and naming drift to occur, but... Do the two even speak the same language, anymore? I mean if they've got all the tech they had before, I can't see a reason why they wouldn't have the capability to keep linguistics drift to a minimum, but given the kind of war they went through is it plausible that they actually intentionally formed new languages just to go 'I am not you anymore'?

And actually, on a similar note: Does either faction even remember Earth anymore? Or any of Earth's history?
Loyalist

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. - General George S. Patton
Gidoran
Bay Watcher

Re: A couple of questions regarding in-game History

Postby PTTG » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:32 am

There were more than 10,000 years before the first war, and earth's location may or may not have been forgotten during that time. Earth's location is definitely forgotten now (all the star charts are gone, or outdated, during the sequestration)

As for dialog, both factions are a billion strong. They probably have several internal languages, and most if not all of them are probably new. That said, they can talk to each other if they want- the elites, at least, know the original trade languages.

In game terms, earth is unknown and might not appear in this game, and when the factions meet, there will be the potential of communication, though you probably will be mainly fighting.
PTTG
Site Admin

Postby Gidoran » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:34 am

So for example, the name 'Deimos' or 'Ceres' would be pretty much unknown? Alright, that works for me. Just means I have to be a little more creative when I present my Fleet Doctrine proposal.
Loyalist

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. - General George S. Patton
Gidoran
Bay Watcher

Postby PTTG » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Feel free to use whatever names you like; we are using the translation convention, so if the name would mean something like "Great Big Angry Masculine God of Thunder and Vikings", you can just call it "Thor", even if the real name is Xkraxshorguth.
PTTG
Site Admin

Postby Flying Dice » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:40 am

Flying Dice
Cove Observer

Return to Resurrection Discussion